Monday 7 January 2013

Extreme Budgeting – Items 4 to 6


Hello y’all out there in cyberland. Here’s the second instalment of my EB ponderings:

4.         Earn points – Whenever, wherever you can make those loyalty points work for you. If ever I’m going to buy something from Amazon I make sure I log in via the www.nectar.com website. There’s currently 2 nectar points per £1 spent (until the end of January). There are lots of other online shops you can earn Nectar points from this way. I converted my points to an Amazon voucher, so the cycle continues…
Various websites will award you points for answering surveys, clicking on links and rating adverts. The one I’m signed up to is http://www.maximiles.co.uk/. I recently earned enough points to get a £30 Argos voucher – that nicely reduced the price of a particular Xmas prezzie by almost 75% :^)
There are lots of ways to maximise the points you earn, and then how you spend them. Do you have any tips for getting this sort of money-for-nothing?

5.         Look at second hand on eBay/Amazon – This tip applies to lots of things, but I find it’s particularly good for books on Amazon; and collectibles on eBay. Don’t be afraid of buying pre-loved!  I tend to buy books for their content, not their good-looks – so second hand suits me fine here. My favourite bargains bought this way were out-of-print cookery books – ones fondly remembered as parental recipe bibles of our youth, but thought never to be seen again.

6.         Penny jar(s) – Lots of the thrifty bloggers out there have just begun a new year-long sealed pot challenge. http://sftandthe101challenge.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/new-sealed-pot-challenge-sign-up-please.html . It’s basically piggybank saving, but everyone agrees to not touch the money until a set date (just before Xmas), then share how much they’ve accrued for their chosen goal.

That’s enough for today. Back to college in the morning, so it’s off to bed for me.

NN!

No comments:

Post a Comment