Friday 4 January 2013

Extreme Budgeting - Items 1 to 3


Just a quick post today - to go through my first three items on my Extreme Budgeting List
  1. No spend days - This one should be fairly self-explanatory. It's all about getting out of the habit of spending on an ad hoc basis. I'll be making packed lunches; ensuring to take a water bottle out and about; investigating where I can park free of charge (a little walk never did me any harm); and such like. This is one of Froogs' solutions for living cheaply, but I think I first heard of the concept on the Holly Is Stopping Shopping blog. I was going to recommend you have a look at Holly's blog (I read about her year's challenge start-to-finish over the course of about a week) but it appears she's closed the site down now :^(... I might even start leaving my purse at home. This one could well help my waistline too, as it'll preclude my buying chocolate willy nilly!
  1. Make it / freecycle it / swap it - A bit of a googling around usually reveals that someone somewhere has had a go at making most things. Stuff I've already got on my DIY to do/try list include: pencil skirts from t-shirt fabric; greetings cards; a new wash kit bag. Alternatively, is it the sort of thing that comes up on Freecycle? I've joined my local Freecycle group via the Trash Nothing website. I've signed up for their Daily Digest email. Free things I've scored from there already are: a mini fan heater (for a friend to take the winter chill off her conservatory) and a named brand yoga mat, block and bag kit. The only real criterion is that the recipient must collect at the donor's convenience. For that reason Freecycle is also good for getting shot of stuff without too much hassle. I've offloaded a perfectly good (but surplus to requirements) washing machine. Lastly, if no-one seems willing to part with it for nowt, will they enter into swapsies with you? You might be able to offer a service - maybe babysitting, or car washing, in return for your required thing.
  1. Calculate journey costs on Google Maps - I noticed recently that the journey planner thingamabob on Google Maps estimates your journey's cost (scroll down to the bottom of the blurb on the left hand side of the page to see it). You can tailor it to your car: vehicle type - compact/standard/high consumption; fuel type: petrol/diesel; and fuel price (per litre). Now I can keep tabs on how much driving about actually costs me, rather than bimbling about the countryside fooling myself that it's free! Next time I empty and refill my tank I'm going to keep a proper tally to see how accurate it is in comparison to what I paid at the pumps... I'll let you know the results.
So how's them apples? Anything of any use to you?
TTFN,
Z x

No comments:

Post a Comment